Tuesday 29 May 2012

DLC 5/29: Bullet for My Valentine



I guess Iron Maiden wasn't enough metal so here's some more.

Bullet for My Valentine - "Tears Don't Fall"
Bullet for My Valentine - "Scream Aim Fire"
Bullet for My Valentine - "Your Betrayal" - Pro Available


Well, I'm not fond of this band or what they've had in RB/GH in the past, but will I like this DLC?


Tears Don't Fall

The guitar part is simply terrible. The worst part about it has to be it's verse sections. It stars one of my least favourite things in the game: GO chords. For those of you who haven't got a clue what those are, it's essentially a chord that consists of the green and orange frets. The reason they're so terrible is because of the fact that the green fret is at the top and the orange is at the bottom. Therefore, you've got to stretch your hand. On their own they're not so horrible but when they're in between other chords, like on this song, they're just a nightmare because of the constant stretching of the pinky to get to them. The bass wasn't too bad. It took some of the difficulty of the guitar, toned it down a bit while still keeping some challenge so that it's not terrible. The drums are really hard. Mostly because of the bass pedal there to constantly throw you off course. The actual song isn't that hard, most certainly not deserving of Devil-tier. Just because it's hard, doesn't mean I don't like it. I tend not to like drums on metal songs but I actually found this one to be enjoyable.

Scream Aim Fire

The first time I'd ever heard this song, or any Bullet for My Valentine, was in Guitar Hero World Tour. I thought it was absolutely horrible and I never played it again. This is essentially the first time I've played this song since 2008. I learned that my feelings toward this song have not changes at all in 4 years. With that said, the guitar part wasn't completely horrible, it definitely had it's moments. Sadly, those moments were few and far between. For the most part this song just screams difficulty whore. The worst part is, whenever you go online now, all your setlists are going to be this and Beast and the Harlot. Like Tears Don't Fall, the bass is a massive improvement on guitar. For many of the same reasons as well. It's difficulty is toned down from the guitar significantly and as someone who can't FC Raining Blood while sleeping drunk, it's nice to have something that isn't über difficult. The drums on the other hand, ARE über difficult. How they got away with being just tier 5 is beyond me. Everything about this is difficult, from the quick blasts on the pads to the awkward timing of the bass pedal nothing here is to be attempted by the faint of heart. Sadly though, I did not enjoy the drums.


Your Betrayal


Again, not a great guitar part. It wasn't completely terrible, but it just wasn't fun. There's a section at the beginning that lasts for about a minute that's reminiscent of a slowed down Through the Fire and Flames. While I personally dislike these songs on guitar, I'm sure that the fans of this type of music will love them. This, like the other two songs, has a better bass part than guitar part. Just like the other two, the reason why this bass part is superior is because of the fact that it's difficulty is toned down. Gone is the ridiculous Slow TTFaF intro and it opens up something that's actually fun to play! It's rather enjoyable actually! Drums were terrible on this song. The pattern was odd and not once did I feel as though it was an enjoyable part to play. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's hard, it has to do with the fact that it's boring as hell.


Pick of the week: Tears Don't Fall
Instrument of the week: Bass
What should you buy: Unless you like Bullet for My Valentine, nothing.


Thanks!
Also, I want to thank David Bernard for helping to fund the blog! He's been a real help as far as allowing the blog to get this far and to help the blog to keep going! Thanks a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment